After I made my homemade coconut milk, I was left with over 2 cups of coconut that I could use for anything else. I didn’t want to waste it and throw it in the compost bin, which was my initial thought. I searched Pinterest for recipes that included coconut and came across many yummy ones, but I didn’t want anything with added sugar or covered in chocolate.
I hit the jackpot when I found The Organised Housewife’s blog post about Healthy Chocolate and Coconut Bliss Balls. I had to try it because I had most of the ingredients and it’s a sure way to curb cravings mid-day when I would otherwise reach for a naughty snack. Below is the recipe I took from The Organised Housewife:
- 2 cups medjool dates
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- ⅓ cup cacao
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
Okay, so I didn’t have all of the ingredients so I made some substitutions. I used raisins instead of dates, and I didn’t have the 2 cups of nuts. What I did have was about 1/3 cup of walnuts, so I supplemented the remaining with oatmeal. I am sure it doesn’t taste AS good but it works until I can buy nuts for my next time making this recipe.
- Combine the dates/raisins and nuts in a food processor. I probably blended for about 45 seconds.
- Add the cacao and coconut and blend for another 60 seconds. After it’s done, the food processor will tell you by throwing the ingredients around in a big ball. Scrape down the sides.
- Roll into balls any size you want.
- Refrigerate until you are ready to use.
I still have over a cup left of the coconut so I could use it to make the following:
- Homemade soap and add the coconut to exfoliate.
- Use in a breading concoction for coconut crusted chicken, fish or shrimp.
- Make homemade Almond Joy or Mounds.
- Homemade smoothies.