I wanted to do something big for my birthday since I was headed for the big 3-0. I dreaded this day. I can’t say why. Honestly, now that I am 30 I don’t feel any different. Anyways, so I went on vacation with a friend. We both wanted a beach vacation so we went to South Miami Beach. I was there before, but wasn’t impressed. I realized that when I was there years ago we stayed in a less than ideal location. This time, we booked a studio condo in south Miami Beach, not a hotel. I prefer condos so we can eat in the rental as opposed to eating out for all meals. I dislike eating out often so we bought foods we could eat in the condo.
I feel in love with Miami this time. Miami has beautiful Art Deco architecture that I admire. Seeing the buildings at night highlighted in neon is something that I have never seen before.
A couple of things we decided to do on vacation that is a little more green:
- We did not rent a car. We stayed in a location we can walk everywhere.
- We didn’t watch TV. You are on vacation, you don’t need a TV.
- We rented bikes to go to further locations.
- We took a bus to the airport. It was cheaper and mass transit is greener.
- We recycled.
- We packed light. Actually the first time I have traveled with only carry-ons.
Even when on vacation I am constantly reminded of my impact on the earth. I try to live with the smallest footprint possible. I have made a couple of decisions while on vacation.
- I want to start eating healthier. My husband and I have subscribed a 2nd year to a CSA. We get our organic veggies from a local farm. Our veggies will travel a lesser distance to reach to us and it’s organic!
- I also want to start composting again. We used to have a machine that would compost here at home, but we weren’t impressed with the noises or smells that came from it. We can drop off our veggie scraps at the yard waste collection sites spread out all over the city.
- I want to do more biking to get places as opposed to using a vehicle. With gas going up, I want to save money and pollution by using my bike.