In celebrating one of my favorite days of the year, I intend on being the ultimate green person. I feel like I celebrate Earth Day every day, but today I will take it to the max. This is how I intend on celebrating:
- Not taking a shower – I have no where to go and no one to impress. Taking a shower uses a lot of water, electricity to heat the water and down the line energy to clean to water for reuse. Not to mention the shampoo and soap you will be using that need energy to make. I do use BWC (Beauty Without Cruelty) shampoo and Grandpa’s soaps which are healthier and better for the environment so I do feel a bit better about that. I hate pouring scented chemical laden products on my body so it can absorb and cause damage. – No thank you!
- Not driving anywhere – I will walk over to visit my folks since they are in walking distance. Like I said above, I really don’t have anywhere else to go so driving somewhere, like the mall, just to kill time is un-needed today.
- Conserving electricity – I do this every day as it is. I even do it for my husband (by turning off the lights after him). Today I will unplug electronics not in use, not turn on the TV just to entertain myself and be efficient when I am using electricity.
- Prepare a donation to the local thrift store – This may not be the most green thing, but by donating stuff to the thrift store that is still good quality will prevent garbage. In completing the cycle, I also shop at the thrift store. I rarely buy books brand new, nor furniture. I love going to thrift stores or even antique stores in order to find what I need.
So what do I intend on doing today? I have a few things on my agenda:
- Knit – Last night I went to a knitting party and got reintroduced to knitting. I gave up when 2 of my scarves turned out like crap.
- Read – I have a great book I am reading that I can get some good quality time catching up.
- Organize/prepare donation – I want to de-clutter, get rid of stuff that I don’t need that is causing me stress and give it away.
- Go for a walk – Enjoy the fresh air and a bit of exercise with my husband and our dog.
- Visit with the folks – Doesn’t require any electricity.
I have my day busy with green things to do. It is almost impossible to completely live without electricity but I will try my best to conserve and be creative with how I use my time. Please share how you are celebrating Earth Day today!