I have always wanted to try painting jars. It looks so easy. You can really be creative. You can add designs, add several colors, or paint multiple sizes and shaped jars and group them together in a vignette.
I had some baby food jars laying around that held little crafting things like buttons or string.
I used fingernail polish remover to remove all of the glue left behind after I took off the label. I tried Goo Gone but it didn’t remove the glue.
Then I made sure to wash them very good on the inside since that is where we are putting the paint. Make sure they are dry.
Pour in enough paint to be able to cover the entire surface of the inside. Then swirl the jar around until it’s all painted. I emptied all the extra paint back into my paint jar so I can use it for later.
Now I have cute little decorative jars I can put almost anywhere. It took me about 10 minutes and less than a couple bucks.
I have a fun 30 minute project for those of you who have cats. Or for those of you who have friends with cats. Or those of you who just like to surround yourself with cat stuff yet you don’t have cats. How can you NOT have a cat, or ten? My cats have probably 50 cat mice, toy wands, cans of catnip. Why not make some more?
This is what you will need:
Needle and thread or sewing machine
Yarn for tail
1. I used drapery fabric because I had it laying around. Fold a 6 by 12 inch rectangle in half. Draw a rough estimate the shape you will want. I kept the uncut edge at the bottom of the half circle so I wouldn’t have to sew it. Cut it out.
2. Refold, then sew around most of the half circle except for about an inch or inch and a half. You will need to pull the insides to the outside. The seam should be inside the mouse.
3. Use a funnel to stuff the catnip into the mouse. Make sure the cats leave you some.
4. Tie a knot on one end of the yarn. The knot will go inside the mouse so it won’t easily be pulled out. Tuck the remaining ends of the mouse butt inside of the mouse and hand sew it together. Make sure to stitch the tail in also.
5. Let loose for cats go to wild. And they do.
I love creating projects out of magazines. Who knew how versatile they could be. I found these butterflies on Pinterest. I had to try them.
What you will need
What I did, was found that colorful pages make beautiful butterflies. I tore out several pages I liked. I centered the most colorful part of the magazine page for the butterfly wings. I folded once, then again. Then cut a triangle. I opened up the diamond shaped magazine clipping.
Make a fan, starting from the inside, working your way out. I put a dab of glue inside each fold to keep it together. It didn’t take long to dry. Then I opened up the wings a bit. You need two “fans” to make a butterfly. Glue them together then spread them open to your liking.
I think this would make a very cool nursery mobile. Or you could make several of these and put them inside a large shadow box and hang it on the wall as art. There are a number of things you can do with these. Fold small butterflies and attach them to homemade cards, hang them on the inside of the windows or make a kitty toy with them. The options are endless.